Graphic Design Certificate.
ADMI’s Graphic Design Certificate programmes are ideal for professionals interested in learning graphic design. Professionals can choose any of our 3 programmes, which are designed for beginners, intermediate and advanced graphic designers and focus on specific design techniques and software. ADMI’s unique curriculum leverages Adobe Education learning resources, practice tests, and real-world applications enabling students to graduate the program with impressive portfolios along with an added Adobe Certified Associate credential recognized by employers around the world.
CHOOSE FROM 3 CERTIFICATE PROGRAMMES
Professionals seeking to develop advanced graphic design skills can choose from the following 3 certificate programs.
Graphic Design & Illustration – Illustrator
Visual Communications – Photoshop
Print & Digital Media Publication – Indesign
Branding for the 21st Century
Web Designing – Dreamweaver
Motion Graphics and Interactive Media – After Effects
COURSE DURATION: 1 Term
CREDITS: Average of 2 units per week with 4 contact hours each week.
Course In Depth
Upon successful completion of the programme, graduates will be able to:
- Build brands for print and digital using design principles, including typography, colour, and balance
- Compose and enhance images, illustrations, and websites using Adobe Creative Cloud
- Design websites and build interactive media elements, such as Motion Graphics, GIFS, and action icons
Earn Credentials Recognized By Employers Worldwide
ADMI students gain a competitive edge over their peers by earning Adobe Certified Associate (ACA) certifications in:
- Visual Communications using Adobe Photoshop®
- Graphic Design & Illustration using Adobe Illustrator®
- Print & Digital Media Publication using Adobe InDesign®
- Web Communications using Adobe Dreamweaver®
To learn more about the certification exam visit:
At ADMI we believe in equipping our students with industry-relevant skills right from the start. We understand that students might be required to work on different platforms so we have invested in the two most common platforms i.e Mac and Windows.
To guarantee quality we have invested in top of the range facilities including:
- Three computer labs with Macs and PCs
- 1:1 computer ratio
- Industry standard software like Adobe
- Wacom tablets
All computers are installed with the Adobe suite and students are able to get certified by Adobe at the end of the course.
Due to the limited spaces, we encourage students to apply early as we can only guarantee a space for those that have fully enrolled.
Graphic Design is a fast-growing field with a combined global revenue of over US $57 billion. IbisWorld (2016).
Companies and organization require artist to effectively visually portray their brand essence, values and identity through their logos, packaging, advertising and several other mediums. Therefore, your role as a graphic designer is critical in depicting your client’s core message to their audience.
As a graphic designer you will produce designs that get your clients’ messages across with high visual impact. You work on variety of products, including websites, packaging, books and magazines, corporate identity advertising, exhibitions and displays, and computer games.
Most graphic design work is now done on computer using specialized industry-standard graphics and multimedia software packages.
As a graphic designer you will spend your day:
- Meet with clients or the art director to determine the scope of a project
- Advise clients on strategies to reach a particular audience
- Create images that identify a product or convey a message
- Develop graphics and visual or audio images for product illustrations, logos, and websites
- Present the design to clients or the art director
- Incorporate changes recommended by the clients into the final design
- Review designs for errors before printing or publishing them
Graduates from this program dive into well-paying jobs such as:
- Graphic designers
- Web developers
- Art directors
- Marketing specialists
- Software application developers
- Marketing managers
- Creative directors
Paul Rand was an American art director and graphic designer, best known for his corporate logo designs, including the logos for IBM, UPS, Enron, Morningstar, Inc., Westinghouse, ABC, and NeXT. He was one of the first American commercial artists to embrace and practice the Swiss Style of graphic design.
How to apply
KCSE C- or above, with a C- or above in Kiswahili, English, Mathematics and at least one science subject OR A-levels with 2 principle passes.
Basic computer proficiency is required. Attach certificates to your application.
Each course has its own specific requirements. Please enquire from the administration what requirements apply to the course of your choice.
In order to study at ADMI, students are required to ensure they have the correct legal documentation. For international students, this includes obtaining the relevant student visa. Below are the guidelines to the international student visa application process.
Guide to Applying for an International Student Pass
ADMI is proud to attract students from around the world. This guide is designed to help international students understand how to apply for an international student visa in Kenya. While we do not process or pay for international student visas, we hope the following information makes the student pass application process as smooth as possible.
Please note: ADMI is legally required to inform the Directorate of Immigration and Registration of Persons Office when a student discontinues his/her studies at ADMI, regardless of the reason. As a result, if a student is dropped from their programme due to poor academic performance, poor attendance or indiscipline, ADMI will immediately inform the Immigration Office.
Step 1: International students apply to ADMI
- International students can apply to one of ADMI’s programmes online: http://africadigitalmedia.org/application-form/.
- Prior to applying to ADMI, please familiarise yourself with our international fee policies: http://africadigitalmedia.org/fees/.
Step 2: ADMI sends supporting documents for visa application
- Successful applicants receive a letter of admission.
- They will also receive a letter of support or a cover letter, addressed to the Director of Immigration, indicating the name and duration of the course to be studied – both new and renewal applications.
- Both of these letters will support international students in applying for their international student visa.
Step 3: Apply online for an International Student Visa
- Register at https://immigration.ecitizen.go.ke/, then log in at https://fns.immigration.go.ke/ and complete the application form (titled Form 30).
- Please note: incomplete applications will not be processed.
Step 4: ADMI Head of Academics or Principal signs/stamps completed form
- Print and fill out all details on Form 30 (student pass application form) from the following website: http://www.immigration.go.ke/downloads/Form-30-Application%20for%20Student%20Pass.pdf.
- Your completed form should then be scanned and emailed to ADMI at email@example.com, to be signed and stamped by our Principal or Head of Academics.
Step 5: Prepare all documents and attachments
- Collate the form and all necessary supporting documents, including:
- Signed commitment letter from the sponsor – both new and renewal cases
- National passport copy of the sponsor – both new and renewal cases
- Proof of funds for self-sponsored students – both new and renewal cases
- For minors, consent letter from the parent – both new and renewal cases
- Copy of parent’s national passport and copy of birth certificate of the minor should be attached as proof of relationship (for minors) – both new and renewal cases
- Copy of a valid national passport – both new and renewal cases (the bio-data page)
- Current immigration status for the pupil/student – both new and renewal cases (If already in the country)
- Two recent passport-size colour photos – both new and renewal cases
- Duly certified copies of basic academic certificates for those joining Tertiary Institutions and Universities – new cases only
- Documents in foreign languages should be translated into English by either the Embassy, Public Notary, or authorized /recognized institution – both new and renewal cases
- Copy of the school’s/college registration certificate from the Ministry of Education – new cases only
- Clearance letter from Department of Refugee Affairs for refugees – both new and renewal cases
- Certified copies of progress report/transcripts obtained (by the issuing institution) – renewal cases only
- Copy of student’s pass previously held – renewal cases only
Step 6: Submit application to immigration offices
- Submit the complete form to immigration offices at Nyayo House, Alien Section, Counter Number 9 (full address below).
- Please note: Immigration might take up to two months to process your student pass or international student visa. If more than two months lapse, please follow up with the immigration office.
Step 7: Processing
- Once your application has been received, you will receive a notification via email. The email will state whether your application was rejected or received. If it has been received, processing should start immediately. You will be told to wait again. This might take around three weeks.
Step 8: Payment
- Once your applications have been approved, you will receive another notification. You should now log in to your portal and make a payment via M-pesa (Pay-Bill number 206206) or bank cheque (payable to PS Ministry of Interior and Coordination of National Government).
Step 9: Provide proof of payment
- Print out the approval letter and attach receipt payment. Take it to:
The Director of Immigration Services
Department of Immigration Offices
Nyayo House 9th Floor,
Kenyatta Avenue/Uhuru Highway
P.O Box 30191,000100 Nairobi
Tel: +254-20-2222022, +254-20-2217544, +254-20-2218833
- You will then be told to wait for the visa to be processed. This will take three weeks or so.
Step 10: Collection
- Once your Visa has been processed, you will receive a notification by email.
- Go back to immigration offices at Nyayo House, Department of Immigration offices Ground Floor Room 16 and collect your Visa. On the same day, you should register as an alien.
For more information, please visit https://fns.immigration.go.ke/infopack/passes/studentpass/.
Download Visa Requirements
Nzilani Simu is a designer and illustrator from Nairobi, Kenya. She specializes in infographics, branding, hand lettering, illustration and is passionate about design for social impact. She has over ten years of experience working as a freelancer and for creative agencies, including Scangroup and Ark Africa. Previous clients include Equity Group Foundation, iHub, Nendo, Heva Fund, Hivos, Morendat and Java House Africa. She has a BA in Sociology from the University of Western Ontario and BA in Graphic Design from Curtin University in Malaysia.
Brian Omolo is a Graphic Artist and Illustrator who combines hand drawn illustrations with computer-aided colour effects to create art. He attained a Higher National Diploma in Graphic Design from the Academy of Graphic Technology in Kenya and earned a BA in Illustration Graphics from Coventry University in 2011.
Brian has worked for various advertising agencies, such as TAC agency and On Cue Digital, as a Graphic Designer and later as an Art Director. He has exhibited his work both locally and internationally with two solo exhibitions in Nairobi, as well as group exhibitions in Kampala, Lagos, Joburg, London, and Paris.
Dennis Mbuthia is a professional motion graphics and game designer, who was mentored by some of the animators behind the TV series Tinga Tinga Tales.
He has developed multimedia animations for the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Studies, motion graphic animations for Naswa (TV show), Jambopay, MRI, Data-Fintech, FilmAid, the WHO and AMREF. He holds qualifications from JKUAT, Homeboyz Animation school, Africa Nazarene University and the Gesci-AKE programme.