The global box office revenue is forecast to increase from $US 38 billion in 2016 to nearly US$ 50 billion in 2020. – Statista (2017).
ADMI’s video production course gives students an industry relevant introduction to film making. Novice filmmakers looking to hone their skills and take their film and production craft work to the next level are encouraged to apply.
Students explore all aspects of video production and professional development including camera operations, editing, producing, sound, scriptwriting and directing. All 6 units cover both film and TV production.
You will have an impressive portfolio and industry-standard experience once you are done. Start capturing global audiences with your stories. Sign up today
COURSE SCHEDULE: 1 Semester.
CREDITS: Contact hours for the course units will be an average of 12 credit hours per week.
- Camera Operations
- Editing for Television
- Scriptwriting for Television
- Sound for Television
- Directing for Television
- Producing for Television
Upon successful completion of the program, you will be able to:
- Understand and practice the planning and management of film production. Direct, capture and produce feature films, documentaries and drama.
- Write scripts for commercials, films, and documentaries.
- Operate broadcast equipment in a TV studio and the control room.
- Edit video and films with high technical standards and artistic awareness. Understand and apply sound design techniques, set design and lighting.
Earning A Credential Regonized By Employers Worldwide
As a video production student, you will gain a competitive edge over your peers by earning an Adobe Certified Associate (ACA) certification in:
- Video Communications using Adobe Premiere®Pro.
ADMI instructors will prepare you to successfully pass these exams through a project-based curriculum that leverages Adobe Education learning resources, practice tests, and real-world applications.
To learn more about the certification exam visit:
From the outset, you will have hands-on access to the latest equipment such as:
- Broadcast cameras
- Mobile TV studio
- Various types of microphones
- A virtual TV set
- Photography cameras
- Three computer labs with Macs and PCs
We have invested in cutting edge industry standard software to ensure that you learn using the latest technology in the world. We have invested in the following software:
- Adobe creative suite
- Final cut
Our video production course qualification is highly regarded in the industry and you students can be confident that this qualification will give them the expertise needed to excel in a variety of industry roles. Our graduates get equipped with the essential skills needed in both production and post-production.
Successful video production students have used this course as their first step to becoming:
- Film & TV Director
- Film & TV Producer
- Film & Video Editor
- Camera Operator
- Lighting Technician
- Independent Filmmaker
- Production Freelancer
Mbithi Masya is a Kenyan filmmaker, writer and artist. Mbithi has directed numerous short films, documentaries, commercials, music videos, and video installations. He is also a member of the Kenyan house/funk/disco band, Just A Band. In 2016, his film Kati Kati won the Toronto International Film Festival, for the FIPRESCI (The International Federation of Film Critics) award .
In 2017 his widely acclaimed film Kati-Kati was selected as the Kenyan entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 90th Academy Awards.
Mara Brock Akil is an American screenwriter and producer. Brock Akil first began her career in 1994 writing for the critically acclaimed Fox series South Central. She has served as supervising producer and writer on The Jamie Foxx Show; and the creator and producer of Girlfriends and The Game. She served as a writer of Moesha, Cougar Town, Being Mary Jane.
She has won several awards including, 2005 BET Comdey Awards for Outstanding Writing in a Comedy Series for Girlfriends; 2012 NAACP Image Awards for Outstanding Writing in a Comedy Series for The Game and 2016 NAACP Image Awards for Outstanding Writing in a Dramatic Series for Being Mary Jane.
In 2017, Mara Brock Ali got the green-lit by The CW to create a pilot based off of DC Comics’ Black Lightening series that chronicles the adventures of a superhero with the ability to generate and control lightning.
KCSE D or above OR A-levels with 2 principal passes.
Basic computer proficiency is required. Attach certificates to your application.
Each course has its own specific requirements. Please enquire from the administration what requirements apply to the course of your choice.
In order to study at ADMI, students are required to ensure they have the correct legal documentation. For international students, this includes obtaining the relevant student visa. Below are the guidelines to the international student visa application process.
Guide to Applying for an International Student Pass
ADMI is proud to attract students from around the world. This guide is designed to help international students understand how to apply for an international student visa in Kenya. While we do not process or pay for international student visas, we hope the following information makes the student pass application process as smooth as possible.
Please note: ADMI is legally required to inform the Directorate of Immigration and Registration of Persons Office when a student discontinues his/her studies at ADMI, regardless of the reason. As a result, if a student is dropped from their programme due to poor academic performance, poor attendance or indiscipline, ADMI will immediately inform the Immigration Office.
Step 1: International students apply to ADMI
- International students can apply to one of ADMI’s programmes online: http://africadigitalmedia.org/application-form/.
- Prior to applying to ADMI, please familiarise yourself with our international fee policies: http://africadigitalmedia.org/fees/.
Step 2: ADMI sends supporting documents for visa application
- Successful applicants receive a letter of admission.
- They will also receive a letter of support or a cover letter, addressed to the Director of Immigration, indicating the name and duration of the course to be studied – both new and renewal applications.
- Both of these letters will support international students in applying for their international student visa.
Step 3: Apply online for an International Student Visa
- Register at https://immigration.ecitizen.go.ke/, then log in at https://fns.immigration.go.ke/ and complete the application form (titled Form 30).
- Please note: incomplete applications will not be processed.
Step 4: ADMI Head of Academics or Principal signs/stamps completed form
- Print and fill out all details on Form 30 (student pass application form) from the following website: http://www.immigration.go.ke/downloads/Form-30-Application%20for%20Student%20Pass.pdf.
- Your completed form should then be scanned and emailed to ADMI at firstname.lastname@example.org, to be signed and stamped by our Principal or Head of Academics.
Step 5: Prepare all documents and attachments
- Collate the form and all necessary supporting documents, including:
- Signed commitment letter from the sponsor – both new and renewal cases
- National passport copy of the sponsor – both new and renewal cases
- Proof of funds for self-sponsored students – both new and renewal cases
- For minors, consent letter from the parent – both new and renewal cases
- Copy of parent’s national passport and copy of birth certificate of the minor should be attached as proof of relationship (for minors) – both new and renewal cases
- Copy of a valid national passport – both new and renewal cases (the bio-data page)
- Current immigration status for the pupil/student – both new and renewal cases (If already in the country)
- Two recent passport-size colour photos – both new and renewal cases
- Duly certified copies of basic academic certificates for those joining Tertiary Institutions and Universities – new cases only
- Documents in foreign languages should be translated into English by either the Embassy, Public Notary, or authorized /recognized institution – both new and renewal cases
- Copy of the school’s/college registration certificate from the Ministry of Education – new cases only
- Clearance letter from Department of Refugee Affairs for refugees – both new and renewal cases
- Certified copies of progress report/transcripts obtained (by the issuing institution) – renewal cases only
- Copy of student’s pass previously held – renewal cases only
Step 6: Submit application to immigration offices
- Submit the complete form to immigration offices at Nyayo House, Alien Section, Counter Number 9 (full address below).
- Please note: Immigration might take up to two months to process your student pass or international student visa. If more than two months lapse, please follow up with the immigration office.
Step 7: Processing
- Once your application has been received, you will receive a notification via email. The email will state whether your application was rejected or received. If it has been received, processing should start immediately. You will be told to wait again. This might take around three weeks.
Step 8: Payment
- Once your applications have been approved, you will receive another notification. You should now log in to your portal and make a payment via M-pesa (Pay-Bill number 206206) or bank cheque (payable to PS Ministry of Interior and Coordination of National Government).
Step 9: Provide proof of payment
- Print out the approval letter and attach receipt payment. Take it to:
The Director of Immigration Services
Department of Immigration Offices
Nyayo House 9th Floor,
Kenyatta Avenue/Uhuru Highway
P.O Box 30191,000100 Nairobi
Tel: +254-20-2222022, +254-20-2217544, +254-20-2218833
- You will then be told to wait for the visa to be processed. This will take three weeks or so.
Step 10: Collection
- Once your Visa has been processed, you will receive a notification by email.
- Go back to immigration offices at Nyayo House, Department of Immigration offices Ground Floor Room 16 and collect your Visa. On the same day, you should register as an alien.
For more information, please visit https://fns.immigration.go.ke/infopack/passes/studentpass/.
Download Visa Requirements
Kevin Chepkech Is a video editor, motion & VFX designer and founder of Sketchyart Studios, a VFX and motion design company in Nairobi. He’s worked on shows like East Africa Sportsline, the XYZ show, and numerous TV ads. He’s built up a lot of experience in the past 8 years working at renowned production houses like Nusunusu Productions and Level 1 Communications. He has an Advanced Diploma in 3D Animation and Multimedia from Shang Tao Media Arts College.
He is currently a lecturer at ADMI teaching video editing and motion graphics.