Diploma in Graphic Design
According to the Ibis World 2016 report, the Graphic Design industry will generate global revenues of over US $57 billion in the next 5 years.
ADMI’s Graphic Design course teaches you the latest graphic design techniques and software. Through a project-based curriculum that leverages Adobe Education learning resources, you will learn to
communicate ideas across a range of visual mediums.
The course begins with an introduction to the history of design and design principles before progressing to branding, digital artwork, and motion graphics. Over the course of two years, you will complete briefs for real clients using a variety of software from Adobe Creative Suite, including Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign and After Effects.
You will graduate with impressive portfolios that include digital artwork, web designs, and original brand concepts along with an added Adobe Certified Associate credential recognized by employers around the world.
COURSE DURATION: The course will course will run for 2 academic years (4 semesters).
CREDITS: 24 contact hours per unit and an average of 7 units per semester.
- History of Graphic Design
- Fundamentals of Design
- Fundamentals of Drawing
- Introduction to Photography
- Adobe Illustrator
- Design & Visual Presentation
- HCD – UI & UX
- Adobe Photoshop
- Digital Illustration
- 3D Modelling
- Fundamentals of Motion Graphics
- Career Launchpad
- Web Design
- Design Storytelling
- Adobe Indesign
- Advanced Motion Graphics
- Packaging & Printing
- Data Visualization
- Graphic Artwork
- HCD -Ergonomics
- Design for Social Impact
- Client & Team Projects
- Advanced Photoshop
- Professional Portfolio
Upon successful completion of the program, you will be able to:
- Successfully understand and utilize digital media as a design tool
- Demonstrate knowledge of a Macintosh-based operating system
- Effectively utilize digital design as a communication device
- Understand the use of symbolic devices such as color, fonts, and other design elements
- Demonstrate an understanding of digital imaging and design software
- Create visual digitally designed solutions that effectively meet project goals
Earn Credentials Recognized By Employers Worldwide
As an ADMI student, you will gain a competitive edge over your peers by earning Adobe Certified Associate (ACA) certifications in:
- Visual Communications using Adobe Photoshop®
- Graphic Design & Illustration using Adobe Illustrator®
- Print & Digital Media Publication using Adobe InDesign®
- Web Communications using Adobe Dreamweaver®
ADMI instructors will prepare you to successfully pass these exams through a curriculum that leverages Adobe Education learning resources and real-world applications.
To learn more about the certification exam visit:
Our labs are fully equipped with three computer labs with Macs and PCs.
In order to ensure that you have access to the best software in the world, ADMI has invested in the following industry standard software:
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe Indesign
- Adobe Dreamweaver
- Fontlab studio
A digital graphic art designer, or graphic designer, creates and modifies digital images or ads. These images are most often used to promote sales and marketing campaigns for businesses. For example, a digital graphic art designer for a movie studio may create digital images to increase the marketability of a particular film. Digital graphic art designers work within strict production timelines.
There are numerous opportunities in a number of industries, including advertising, publishing and specialized design services, as well as in the growing field of website design, particularly Internet advertising.
From working for a design consultancy to setting up your own studio, the diploma in graphic design opens the door to a wide range of creative careers.
As a graduate from this program, you will dive into well-paying jobs such as:
- Graphic Editors
- Art Directors
- Graphic Designers
- Visual Information Specialists
- Production Assistants
- Design Assistants
- Marketing specialists
- Creative Directors
Paul Rand was an American art director and graphic designer, best known for his corporate logo designs, including the logos for IBM, UPS, Enron, Morningstar, Inc., Westinghouse, ABC, and NeXT. He was one of the first American commercial artists to embrace and practice the Swiss Style of graphic design.
Rand was a professor emeritus of graphic design at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut from 1956 to 1969, and from 1974 to 1985. He was inducted into the New York Art Directors Club Hall of Fame in 1972.
KCSE C- or above in KCSE OR A-levels with 2 principle passes.
Basic computer proficiency is required. Attach certificates to your application.
Each course has its own specific requirements. Please enquire from the administration what requirements apply to the course of your choice.
In order to study at ADMI, students are required to ensure they have the correct legal documentation. For international students, this includes obtaining the relevant student visa. Below are the guidelines to the international student visa application process.
Guide to Applying for an International Student Pass
ADMI is proud to attract students from around the world. This guide is designed to help international students understand how to apply for an international student visa in Kenya. While we do not process or pay for international student visas, we hope the following information makes the student pass application process as smooth as possible.
Please note: ADMI is legally required to inform the Directorate of Immigration and Registration of Persons Office when a student discontinues his/her studies at ADMI, regardless of the reason. As a result, if a student is dropped from their programme due to poor academic performance, poor attendance or indiscipline, ADMI will immediately inform the Immigration Office.
Step 1: International students apply to ADMI
- International students can apply to one of ADMI’s programmes online: http://africadigitalmedia.org/application-form/.
- Prior to applying to ADMI, please familiarise yourself with our international fee policies: http://africadigitalmedia.org/fees/.
Step 2: ADMI sends supporting documents for visa application
- Successful applicants receive a letter of admission.
- They will also receive a letter of support or a cover letter, addressed to the Director of Immigration, indicating the name and duration of the course to be studied – both new and renewal applications.
- Both of these letters will support international students in applying for their international student visa.
Step 3: Apply online for an International Student Visa
- Register at https://immigration.ecitizen.go.ke/, then log in at https://fns.immigration.go.ke/ and complete the application form (titled Form 30).
- Please note: incomplete applications will not be processed.
Step 4: ADMI Head of Academics or Principal signs/stamps completed form
- Print and fill out all details on Form 30 (student pass application form) from the following website: http://www.immigration.go.ke/downloads/Form-30-Application%20for%20Student%20Pass.pdf.
- Your completed form should then be scanned and emailed to ADMI at firstname.lastname@example.org, to be signed and stamped by our Principal or Head of Academics.
Step 5: Prepare all documents and attachments
- Collate the form and all necessary supporting documents, including:
- Signed commitment letter from the sponsor – both new and renewal cases
- National passport copy of the sponsor – both new and renewal cases
- Proof of funds for self-sponsored students – both new and renewal cases
- For minors, consent letter from the parent – both new and renewal cases
- Copy of parent’s national passport and copy of birth certificate of the minor should be attached as proof of relationship (for minors) – both new and renewal cases
- Copy of a valid national passport – both new and renewal cases (the bio-data page)
- Current immigration status for the pupil/student – both new and renewal cases (If already in the country)
- Two recent passport-size colour photos – both new and renewal cases
- Duly certified copies of basic academic certificates for those joining Tertiary Institutions and Universities – new cases only
- Documents in foreign languages should be translated into English by either the Embassy, Public Notary, or authorized /recognized institution – both new and renewal cases
- Copy of the school’s/college registration certificate from the Ministry of Education – new cases only
- Clearance letter from Department of Refugee Affairs for refugees – both new and renewal cases
- Certified copies of progress report/transcripts obtained (by the issuing institution) – renewal cases only
- Copy of student’s pass previously held – renewal cases only
Step 6: Submit application to immigration offices
- Submit the complete form to immigration offices at Nyayo House, Alien Section, Counter Number 9 (full address below).
- Please note: Immigration might take up to two months to process your student pass or international student visa. If more than two months lapse, please follow up with the immigration office.
Step 7: Processing
- Once your application has been received, you will receive a notification via email. The email will state whether your application was rejected or received. If it has been received, processing should start immediately. You will be told to wait again. This might take around three weeks.
Step 8: Payment
- Once your applications have been approved, you will receive another notification. You should now log in to your portal and make a payment via M-pesa (Pay-Bill number 206206) or bank cheque (payable to PS Ministry of Interior and Coordination of National Government).
Step 9: Provide proof of payment
- Print out the approval letter and attach receipt payment. Take it to:
The Director of Immigration Services
Department of Immigration Offices
Nyayo House 9th Floor,
Kenyatta Avenue/Uhuru Highway
P.O Box 30191,000100 Nairobi
Tel: +254-20-2222022, +254-20-2217544, +254-20-2218833
- You will then be told to wait for the visa to be processed. This will take three weeks or so.
Step 10: Collection
- Once your Visa has been processed, you will receive a notification by email.
- Go back to immigration offices at Nyayo House, Department of Immigration offices Ground Floor Room 16 and collect your Visa. On the same day, you should register as an alien.
For more information, please visit https://fns.immigration.go.ke/infopack/passes/studentpass/.
Download Visa Requirements
Nzilani Simu is a designer and illustrator from Nairobi, Kenya. She specializes in infographics, branding, hand lettering, illustration and is passionate about design for social impact.
Nzilani has over ten years of experience working as a freelancer and for creative agencies, including Scangroup and Ark Africa. Previous clients include Equity Group Foundation, iHub, Nendo, Heva Fund, Hivos, Morendat and Java House Africa. She has a BA in Sociology from the University of Western Ontario and BA in Graphic Design from Curtin University in Malaysia.
Brian Omolo is a Graphic Artist and Illustrator who combines hand drawn illustrations with computer-aided colour effects to create art. He attained a Higher National Diploma in Graphic Design from the Academy of Graphic Technology in Kenya and earned a BA in Illustration Graphics from Coventry University in 2011.
Brian has worked for various advertising agencies, such as TAC agency and On Cue Digital, as a Graphic Designer and later as an Art Director. He has exhibited his work both locally and internationally with two solo exhibitions in Nairobi, as well as group exhibitions in Kampala, Lagos, Joburg, London, and Paris. Brian has been teaching Graphic Design at ADMI since June 2016.
Kevin Chepkech Is a video editor, motion & VFX designer and founder of Sketchyart Studios, a VFX and motion design company in Nairobi. He’s worked on shows like East Africa Sportsline, the XYZ show, and numerous TV ads. He’s built up a lot of experience in the past 8 years working at renowned production houses like Nusunusu Productions and Level 1 Communications. He has an Advanced Diploma in 3D Animation and Multimedia from Shang Tao Media Arts College.
He is currently a lecturer at ADMI teaching video editing and motion graphics.
Geoffrey Otieno Is a Graphics, 3D Modelling and animation Instructor with over 17 years experience in the web and graphics industry. He has worked for NairoBits Trust organization and helped to set up Info centers in Zanzibar, Uganda, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Ghana, Somaliland, Pakistan, and Tanzania. He is passionate about design-education, branding, and marketing.