Diploma in Sound Engineering
Our Sound Engineering course provides training in all areas of sound production, including live sound; music production and recording; sound mixing and mastering; digital audio editing; signal processing; field recording and sound design; and live concert recording.
The Sound Engineering course also covers audio for the film, video, animation and gaming industries and incorporates real-life gigs. As a student you will develop your skills in state-of-the-art studios, providing you with the technical skills and experience you need to pursue careers as a studio engineer, live performer, tour manager or audio technician.
COURSE DURATION: The course will course will run for 2 academic years (4 semesters).
CREDITS: 24 contact hours per unit and an average of 7 units per semester.
- Career Launchpad 1
- Basics of Audio Production
- Introduction to Live Sound
- Critical Music Listening
- Digital Audio Environment
- Introduction to Acoustics Microphone Techniques
- Career Launchpad 2
- Critical Listening II
- Digital Audio Editing
- Live Sound Setup
- Audio Processing
- Mixing Techniques Music Appreciation
- Career Launchpad 3
- Audio Post Production for Film and TV
- Mastering Sound
- Live Concert Sound
- Critical Music Listening III Composing for Music for Film and TV
- Projects & Portfolio Review
- Composing Music for Media
- Music Project
- Live Sound Senior Practicum (Projects)
Upon successful completion of the Sound Engineering course, you will be able to:
- Analyze sound and lighting equipment requirements for live sound events, prep and connect all required equipment and use the equipment successfully in running the event from a technical perspective
- Intelligently speak the language of music when interacting with musicians in live sound and recording environments
- Demonstrate proficiency in Digital Audio Workstation applications, including editing and signal processing
- Demonstrate safe working practices in lighting and various sound production environments.
- Use entrepreneurial and personal finance skills to help establish recording studios, live sound companies and run these operations successfully
ADMI prides itself in having modern, state of the art equipment that meet global standards. As a sound engineering student you will have the opportunity to use the following equipment:
- Acoustically treated sound studio
- Various types of audio mixers
- Various types of microphones
- Three computer labs with Macs and PCs
ADMI has also invested in industry standard software including:
- Pro tools
- Ableton live
As a sound engineer in a recording studio, you would make high quality recording of music, speech and sound effects. If you enjoy working with electronics and are interested in music and sound, this could be the ideal job for you. In this job, you would need to have a good sense of hearing. You would also need to understand musical pitch, timing, and rhythm. With experience, you might also act as Studio Manager. You may also be known as an audio engineer or recording engineer.
Other jobs that you could take up with the qualification may include:
- Studio sound engineer
- Mix engineer
- Live sound engineer (music and theatre)
- Studio assistant
- Production assistant
- Audio post production engineer
- OB engineer
- Recording artist
- Electronic musician
- Music and dialogue editor
- Location recordist
Myke Rabar is the founder and CEO of Homeboyz Group, a Kenyan multimedia entertainment company. He began his career as a music loving DJ who just loved to play music. “It just happened by accident. You’re doing one event, then two, then you’ve got demand. So you start hiring equipment, bring more guys on board, you come with DJs. Then my brothers come in to help and then it just kept on evolving. ‘We’re starting a club, can you install for us a sound system?’ ‘We are doing something in Naivasha – can you put up stage, light, sound, and then bring entertainers in?” It keeps growing and growing and now we are here.” (Source: Business Daily)
Homeboyz has expanded its array of services and morphed into an integrated marketing and communications agency. Rabar, now one of the investors on the TV show Lion’s Den, demonstrates that there is big money to be made from entertainment.
Jay Z recently relaunched Tidal, a $20-a-month music streaming service that some say could spell trouble for other sites like Spotify. The launch is the latest in a string of business successes for the 45-year-old rapper, who owns a record label, talent agency, and fashion brand. His estimated net worth is US$500 million.
Jay Z creates his own opportunities. In doing so, he’s gone from being a teen selling drugs on a Brooklyn street corner to a bona fide business mogul. In the late 1990s, he couldn’t get a record deal, so he and Damon Dash started their own label, Roc-A-Fella Records. “It was either give up or create my own company,” he told Forbes. He was later signed by Def Jam Records. (Source: Business Insider)
KCSE C- or above, with a C- or above in Kiswahili, English, Mathematics and at least one science subject OR A-levels with 2 principle passes.
Basic computer proficiency is required. Attach certificates to your application.
Each course has its own specific requirements. Please enquire from the administration what requirements apply to the course of your choice.
Simon Mathinji is a sound engineer. He has previously worked as a Sound Production instructor for GeSCI, a program founded by the UN ICT Task Force. He has worked on post-production sound for various TV and Radio shows. He also works as a front of house sound engineer for live sound events. He has a Bachelor of Science degree in Physics from Kenyatta University and several certifications from various multimedia programs.