A Senior Lifestyle Editor at Nation Media Group discusses the importance of multimedia skills.
Diploma in Digital Journalism
This Diploma course is designed to equip students with competencies needed to deliver engaging content for today’s quickly changing media landscape where team members are expected to have a versatile and holistic skill set for print, broadcast and online reporting.
Over the course of the two years, the students will be equipped with competencies for demonstrating the understanding of mass communication, writing and report news, carrying out investigative journalism, conducting research in mass communication, producing feature stories, planning and manage project, applying media convergence, producing radio shows, applying fundamentals of digital and mobile journalism, practicing photojournalism, designing multimedia graphics, demonstrating the understanding of web technology, producing digital content, and carrying out computer assisted reporting.
Students graduating from the course will be equipped with the skills they need to thrive in today’s multimedia newsrooms or online publishing.
Course Duration :5 semesters in class and 1 semester on Industrial attachment
CREDITS: 28 contact hours per term and an average of 7 units per term
By the end of the programme, Digital Journalism graduates will be able to:
- Write newsworthy stories and edit them for print, radio, TV and digital platforms
- Use multimedia elements, including photography, videography, and graphics to increase viewer engagement
- Create and pitch professional news packages to editors at traditional media houses or digital platforms, like KTN, Standard, BBC, and Buzzfeed.
- Produce a professional newsreel and digital marketing strategy that showcases each student’s unique storytelling style and cultivates a strong online following
- Communication skills
- Digital literacy
- Mass communication
- Writing and reporting news
- Fundamentals of digital journalism
- Video Camera Operations
- Adobe Premiere – Video Editing
- Numeracy skills
- Feature stories
- Multimedia graphic design – Print Media (Adobe InDesign)
- TV Production -Studio & Location
- Scripting for Television
- Photoshop – Photo Editing
- Environmental literacy
- Digital content production
- Mobile journalism
- Audio/Radio Production (Recording & Editing)
- Computer assisted reporting (CAR)
- Multimedia graphic design- Video Graphics (After Effects)
- Screen Presentation
- Occupational safety and health practices
- Investigative journalism
- Digital Marketing
- Web technology (CMS, Social Media, Blogging)
- News Production
- Research methods in mass communication
- Employability skills
- Entrepreneurial skills
- Project management -(Print & Electronic Media Projects)
- Media convergence
- Media Law & Ethics
- Public Relations
Industrial attachment (12 weeks)
Earn Credentials Recognized By Employers Worldwide
Digital Journalism students gain a competitive edge over their peers by earning Adobe Certified Associate (ACA) certifications in:
- Video Editing using Adobe Premiere®Pro
- Photo Editing using Adobe Photoshop®
- Graphic Design & Illustration using Adobe Illustrator®
- Print & Digital Media Publication using Adobe InDesign®
ADMI instructors prepare students to successfully pass these exams through a curriculum that leverages Adobe Education learning resources, practice tests, and real-world applications.
To learn more about the certification exam visit:
We have invested in top of the range facilities including:
- Broadcast cameras
- Mobile studio
- Various types of microphones
- A virtual TV set
- Various Photography cameras
- Three computer labs with Macs and PCs
We have invested in cutting edge industry standard software to ensure that our students learn using the latest technology in the world. We have invested in the following software:
- Adobe creative suite
- Final cut
We have very close ties with other facility providers that we can extend our practicals to.
According to Ad Age, the United States had 117,100 Internet-media jobs in July 2012, compared to just 76,800 in December 2007.
As a Digital Journalism student, you’ll follow in the steps of outstanding journalists who have found success as writers, reporters and editors with newspapers, magazines, non-profit organizations, corporate communication departments and creative agencies.
At the completion of the course you can become as any of the following:
- Online Journalist
- Digital Marketer
- Web designer
- Graphic Designer
- Video Editor
- PR Practitioner
- Broadcast Journalist
- Television Presenter
- Newspaper Reporter
- Radio Presenter
- Radio Producer
Isha Sesay is an anchor and correspondent for CNN International. A seasoned and award-winning journalist, Sesay has covered numerous breaking news stories and events of global interest.
She anchored CNN’s breaking news coverage of terrorist attacks in Paris in November 2015 on CNN/US and CNNI, which went on to receive the 2016 Royal Television Society Award for ‘Best Breaking News Coverage.’
Sharon Mundia started blogging regularly three years ago, right after graduating from Monash University in South Africa with a degree in Marketing and Management.
She always had a passion for literature, even receiving a high school literary award, but practicality won out when it came to choosing an academic major.
KCSE C- or above OR A-levels with 2 principle passes.
Basic computer proficiency is required.
Each course has its own specific requirements. Please enquire from the administration what requirements apply to the course of your choice.
- Photocopy of your ID or Passport
- A copy of your KCSE Certificate or Results Slip
- 2 Passport Photos
- Bank Slip
Anet Wesonga has more than six years’ teaching experience in communication and media and has worked at a host of renowned institutions in Nairobi. She is a communications writer with Play for Peace, Peace Builders Club – an initiative of 7th August Memorial Park – and is also a peace promoter with the Catholic Justice and Peace Commission. Anet holds a BA in Communication and Media Technology with IT from Maseno University.
Here are some pointers for people aspiring to be journalists.